The largest Hindu temple outside of India is the “Akshardham Temple” in Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA. This temple is also known as the “Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple” and is part of the BAPS (Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha) organization.
Key features of the Akshardham Temple in Robbinsville:
- Size: The temple complex spans approximately 162 acres, making it one of the largest Hindu temples in the world, and certainly the largest outside of India.
- Architectural Grandeur: The temple showcases intricate and stunning architecture, including traditional Hindu stone carvings, sculptures, and ornate details that are reminiscent of ancient Indian temples.
- Cultural Complex: In addition to the main temple, the complex includes a cultural and spiritual center with a visitor’s center, a prayer hall, an exhibition hall, and a musical fountain.
- Devotion to Bhagwan Swaminarayan: The temple is dedicated to Bhagwan Swaminarayan and showcases his teachings and life through various exhibits and cultural displays.
- Community Center: It serves as a hub for the Indian-American community, hosting cultural events, religious ceremonies, and educational programs.
The Akshardham Temple in Robbinsville is a remarkable testament to the thriving Indian diaspora and the preservation of Hindu culture and spirituality outside of India. It has become a prominent landmark and cultural center for Hindus and people of all backgrounds in the United States.