Make sure you have the right components for creating high-quality leather jewelry with these rivets, snaps, and eyelets. These findings can all be used to decorate leather in unique ways. Rivets are great for making cold connections and can be used to add embellishments. Snaps make excellent fasteners or decorative elements. Eyelets work just like rivets, but feature an opening for adding clasps, jump rings, or something else entirely. All of these components allow you to get creative with your leather designs.
When we talk about small metal parts, we mean all those small objects used to close or embellish items of clothing. This category includes rivets, studs, hooks, buckles and eyelets that somehow replace the classic button.
Hooks: this item allows you to close pants or skirts at the waist , virtually disappearing and allowing the garment to be worn perfectly.
Indispensable in the closure of the brass eyelets for canvas, this allows the right measure to the circumference, allowing you to usually choose from three solutions that best suits your chest, thus avoiding to find yourself with a bra too wide or too tight.
The hooks also hide small defects that are created between one button and the other, leaving empty spaces. With the application of a hook, which will remain completely invisible, you will remedy the inevitable grimace that you create and give a much more orderly look to your blouse.
Automatic buttons: also called press-studs , they are part of the small metal parts because they are usually made of brass in steel or iron. Their practicality makes them suitable for informal clothing and for children who can open and close their clothes through a simple move.
Rivets and metal buttons for trousers: usually, they can be seen on jeans, where the brand of the company that created them is stamped. The rivets are very practical to gather several layers of fabric in a point that could easily be torn, we are talking about the space around the pockets. The material with which these items are produced is copper, steel or brass with the characteristic of not rusting and therefore being very practical to wash. They are usually appliedto the riveting machine at the level of industrial production.
Buckles: such objects, embraces a vast field, because this accessory is particularly visible in clothing, and by itself completely changes the style and posture of a person.
If they can really be found in an infinite choice, the shape can be round, square, rectangular or take the features of any figure you can imagine.
Even the material of which it is made enormously, the metal, is only one of the components, we find plastic, bone, wood and also covered with the same fabric of the dress.
Eyelets: this element, very small is used to pass through a cord, just think of the classic sweatshirts and the closure below or around the hat by means of laces.
Usually made of iron or brass with the possibility of being wet in ecological material for those who suffer from nickel.
Very often, the small metal parts are used for decorative purposes, for example, you can use studs which are a really wide choice starting from the classic that give the clothing a note “rock” up to the maximum elegance required for tuxedo shirts with jewelry snaps.
Snap closures are a practical and economical method to add sturdy closures to leather items. However, snap setting is a task that many leather crafters find daunting. To add a snap to leather, you will need some special tools and materials, but the process is much easier than it might seem.
Punching Holes for the Snap Components
Gather your materials. Adding a snap closure to leather is easy, but you will need some special tools and materials to do it. Before you begin, you will need:
- A snap closure kit. You can buy a snap closure kit that contains all or most of the components you will need to add a snap to leather. It should include all of the snap components and a setting tool as well, which is a small metal rod.
- A hole punch meant for adding snaps to leather. Some snap kits come with a hole punch, so check to see if one is included before you buy this item. If you need to buy one, you can either get a single hole punch that matches the snap you will be adding, or you can get an adjustable punch, which has multiple settings for different types of hole punches.
- A rawhide or rubber mallet. It is important to use a rawhide or rubber mallet to hammer the snaps into place because a metal hammer may weaken the snap components.
- Leather that you want to add the snap to.
- Scissors. You will only need a pair of scissors if you need to cut the leather.
- Setting anvil (optional). A setting anvil is a small metal block with a concave top that can be helpful for adding a snap with a curved cap. However, you can also set the snap on a hard, sturdy surface, such as a work bench, table, or concrete floor. If you are working on a surface that may get damaged if you hit it with a hammer, such as a wood table, then place a book or other thick hard object down to protect the surface.
Measure your leather to determine where to place the snap. You should plan to position the snap closure pieces about (1.9 cm) from the ends of your leather. Make sure that you have enough excess leather to do this and still secure the leather as desired. Measure the leather and mark the areas where you want to place the snap closures.
Even the eyelets, usually used on women’s clothing, can add a touch of elegance more, correctly distributed and harmoniously placed.
Today, it is difficult to find a piece of clothing that does not contain at least one article mentioned above, the reason is that they have become indispensable thanks to the great practicality to donate.