101 Single Sentence Tips for Beginners From Blogging Experts
Blogging Tips and Tricks for Beginners and Veteran Bloggers
- Write what you love
- Be Different
- Write like you talk
- Good content is key
- Good Photography will do wonders for your blog
- Formatting Matters a lot
- Research before you write
- Put your best foot forward and fake it until you make it.
- Be good and Do Good
- Make Friends with everyone, even your blog commentators and critics
- Treat each article as your product
- Creatively Crowdsource
- Create your own media content
- Do Interviews/ Webinars
- Invite Guest Bloggers
- Guest Post Often
- Talk about yourself but Don’t talk only about yourself
- Answer reader questions – in comment or as a dedicated blogpost
- Brand Journalism – create your content like a reporter would
- Claim Authorship of your articles on Google+ , Facebook Authorship etc
- Your Blog is not a blog, its a publication.
- Create Google Hangouts into Courses
- Convert your blogposts in audio podcasts
- Make Posts Social
- Grow your email list
- Spend a lot of time on your blog title and make it eye-catching
- Spend time on your sub-titles
- Schedule your blog posts on a calendar and honor timelines
- Measure – Analyse – Tweak – Measure – Analyse
- Mention Influencers and thought leaders
- Read other bloggers in and around your audience
- Use Google Trends to understand searches in your audience
- Conduct Keyword Research while writing your articles
- Optimise your blog for SEO
- Write a blog series, like our blogger journeys is a series where we feature bloggers and their journey in interview format.
- If you take 2 hours to write a blog post, spend at-least 8 hours to promote it.
- Use Feedly for competitive research
- Do a visual audit of your blog
- Chase customers, not clicks
- Have a strong opinion
- Scrap Jargon and follow KISS principle ( Keep It Simple Stupid )
- Have Questions in your conversation to keep the reader engaged
- Reward your readers with useful tips in every blogpost
- Get Ideas from your audience
- Finish your blog post with some kind of call to action to signup for an email list or follow you on Twitter.
- Give Stuff Away
- Be willing to fail for a long time. Give it time, even a baby takes 9 months to come out.
- No Copying. Write Original Content. ALWAYS!
- Write unfinished posts, and ask your community to complete the conversation.
- Don’t write too long or too short. Generally content between 300 to 1000 words is ideal
- Invest in good web design
- Use WordPress, whenever in doubt
- Experiment. Experiment. Experiment
- Encourage interaction and make commenting easy
- Doing is better than Doing Perfect. Doing and failing is better than learning without action.
- Use Google Auto Complete and News Jacking for Blog post ideas
- Internal linking is key. Keep a list of link worthy content from your blog handy and sprinkle generously in your new blogposts
- Write for your grandma ( write simple )
- Revisions and re-edits are not bad. Do as often as required
- Cite original sources
- Use link shortners to track clicks
- Add tweet links to tweetable content
- Make it easy for people to share your content on social media
- Schedule auto promote for your older posts on social media
- Embrace Humour
- Have a great about me page
- Syndicate content, atleast on Alltop
- Celebrate your wins – everywhere!
- If content is king, community is queen, link building is GOD!
- Listicles are the easiest way to generate traffic. This blogpost is an example of a listicle
- Returning visitors and time spend on site are more important than page-views
- Hire a tech guy to trouble shoot issues, update your blog etc as soon as you feel the need. Technology issues should not be a roadblock to your success.
- Shamelessly Ask for help and Help fellow bloggers as much as you can!
- Promote your blog in your email signature, business card, and any place that lands you eyeballs
- Have Fun!
What About You?